Thursday, May 25, 2017

The Karate Kid

     I can remember it like it was yesterday. Funny how certain memories remain in your mind through the test of time. I traveled with my family to Silo, in Turnersville, NJ at the age of 5 years old, to purchase our very first VCR. It was a Panasonic top loader, that my Dad still owns to this day!..that still works! It was 1985 and VCR's were finally reaching a price point that allowed middle class families to own them. The first 2 movies that I was able to rent would change my life forever. The first was Star Wars. The second, The Karate Kid.

     I can still remember watching it for the very first time. Being amazed by everything that Daniel went through, being afraid of Mr. Miyagi when I first saw him, and being in awe of the thought of karate. I almost immediately tied a headband on my head and starting practicing moves that I had seen Daniel being taught by Miyagi. It wasn't long after that I started asking my parents for karate lessons.

     One afternoon I remember walking into a dojo for the first time. It was located at what is now the Amish Farmers Market, also in Turnersville, NJ. At the age of 5, I was scared to death. What I saw when I walked in were students doing what I had seen in the film, but much louder and much harder. Needless to say, after seeing it up close, and my mom talking to the Sensei, I decided to buy a headband from their shop and quietly head home. Knowing all the while, that I still loved karate, and would still emulate the Karate Kid.

     The story continues...



    

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Started

My passion for pro wrestling began at the age of 5. I can actually pinpoint it to the exact day. My 5th birthday. My dad gave me an LJN Hulk...