Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Intro Into 7th Kyu Orange Belt Training

This past week, I began my 7th kyu Orange Belt level training. My training so far for this level has been mixed with continuing my yellow belt level training, and working on improving all of the techniques that I have learned thus far. The lessons that I have worked on so far are building upon the previous level and taking them a step further. While the Taikyoko Nidan is pretty easy to follow along and begin to study, the Heian Nidan takes a lot of patience and repetition, as there are many new steps involved in this intricate kata. This has been a focus of mine over the past week. I look forward to the lessons and classes involved in this level, and welcome the new challenge!

4 comments:

  1. Great to see someone else training Shotokan with the GMAU! I've just started studying the new techniques for purple belt after the blue belt exam, followed by a lazy vacation. Looking forward to your upcoming experiences published to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! How long have you been training with GMAU?

      Delete
    2. I formally started Nov. 16 after some years of informally training kata without guidance, just watching my kids at their dojo and repeating at home for myself.

      I'd be interested in how you organize your training, i.e. one day follow a class, next time repeat lessons, kihon, drills, etc. - I struggle planning my the ideal routine for my training.

      Delete
    3. Wow, you're really moving along quickly to already be working on your purple belt after starting in November! That's great.
      I've been working on lessons and drills for the first couple of weeks on a new level, and then doing all classes, mixed with repeating the lessons. I study the lessons nightly by watching and reviewing them as well. I find that helps me, especially watching the kata over and over.

      Delete

How It All Started

My passion for pro wrestling began at the age of 5. I can actually pinpoint it to the exact day. My 5th birthday. My dad gave me an LJN Hulk...